Do you need to pay FBT?

You may be required to pay fringe benefits tax (FBT) if you provide certain fringe benefits to an employee (or their associate) in respect of employment. An employee can be a current, future or past employee, or a director of a company or trust.

You will need to pay FBT even if the benefit is provided to an associate of your employee or by a third party under an arrangement with you.

Examples of fringe benefits include:

  • allowing your employee to use a work car for private purposes
  • giving your employee a discounted loan
  • paying an employee’s gym membership
  • providing entertainment by way of free tickets to concerts
  • reimbursing an expense incurred by your employee, such as school fees
  • giving benefits under a salary sacrifice arrangement with an employee.

Some employers, including charities, need to assess the status of their workers when working out their FBT liability. Generally, benefits provided to volunteers and contractors don’t attract FBT.

You must self-assess your own FBT liability each FBT year (1 April to 31 March) and lodge an FBT return before the due date.